Annual Membership MeetingSpecial Presentation: Hidden Streams of Northeast Queens: Thursday, May 12, 2016
Flights Of Fancy ExhibitionInvitation to opening reception for Flights of Fancy photo show that features Fairchild aerial images of Douglaston from 1927 to 1966.
Petition!Support the Douglaston Historic Extension designation!
- Robert Bingham grew up in Douglaston Park and was a regular at the local firehouse. Now retired from the Washington D.C. Fire Department he has written a local history of our two volunteer fire companies as they transitioned into today's FDNY. Bob researched the DLNHS archives and found a treasure trove of information. Bob takes the reader step by step through the last 100 years of fire fighting in Douglaston and Little Neck. Below is a press release for his book.
- A new Douglaston - Little Neck History Book
- November 2015
- The book is titled FDNY Engine 313 and Ladder 164 and is a history of the local fire departments and the surrounding communities from the volunteer days until the present time. The author is Robert Bingham who grew up on 245th Street in Douglaston Park in the 1950s. The Douglaston - Little Neck area was served by the volunteer fire departments from 1901 until the FDNY built the existing firehouse at 44-01 244th Street in 1929. The old Douglaston Firehouse was converted into an American Legion Hall and is still standing on 235th Street south of the Long Island Railroad station.
- While the focus of the book is on the fire service it is interwoven with a sense of what the area was like back in the early 20th century. The volunteer departments in those days were a social center and there are vivid descriptions of the opening day parades and the entertainment of the day. There were minstrel shows, clog dancing, dinners, and grand supper marches. There are many wonderful black and white vintage photographs of the early firehouses, fire engines, memorabilia, firemen and fires through the years.
- Many prominent residents were members of the fire departments, one of the founding members and president of the Douglaston Hose Company was the Honorable Denis O'Leary, member of the House of Representatives, 2nd Congressional District.
- Included are some old family names and the old street names. The Little Neck firehouse was located at Broadway and Clinton Avenue, now Northern Boulevard and Marathon parkway on the site of the present McDonalds.
- The book explores the Douglaston firemen's world, from firehouse life to heroism and tragedy. It shows the love of their work, their family-like camaraderie, amusing stories, their helping people in peril and saving lives. This book is as moving as it is informative. These are stories from firefighters themselves, which captures the spirit of this historic firehouse.
- The book is available on Amazon.com for $14.99
Come see Friends of the Little Neck - Douglaston Library's New Historic Local Photo Exhibit at the Little Neck Branch of the Queensborough Public Library Located at Northern Boulevard & 249th Street
Photo: Ron Wan
Each month a new historical photo from the Douglaston & Little Neck Historical Society's collection will be presented for public viewing
The first photo shows Douglaston Hose Company's firehouse circa 1903. The Company's history and a list of its members when it was mustered out in 1929 accompany the photo
An opening reception is being planned for September
It is the objective and purpose of the Douglaston and Little Neck Historical Society, Inc. to publicize, preserve, and protect the historical significance of the towns of Douglaston and Little Neck, adjacent nature preserves, and those other sections or buildings of the two towns worthy of preservation through the collection, research, and dissemination of historical information to the public.
The Douglaston & Little Neck Historical Society was formed in January of 1989 as a not for profit 501 (c) 3 organization. Dues and donations are tax deductible as permitted by law.
- Creation of New York City Landmark DistrictsTo date, with an out pouring of help and support from the community, it has helped New York City create two historic districts. The Douglaston Historic District in 1997, and the Douglaston Hill Historic District in 2004. The Society also succeeded in having both districts added to the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places with Douglaston Hill being added in 2000 and the Douglaston Historic District in 2005.
- A Permanent Historic CollectionThe Society houses its collection of photos, maps, blueprints, drawings, and artifacts, most donated by local residents, at the Bayside Historical Society. The collection is open to scholars and the public for on site viewing. For an appointment call BHS at 718 352-1548, or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EducationThe Society increases public awareness of the two townâ€™s architectural significance, planning, and social history through public forums like house tours, walking tours, historian speakers, planners, and architects. The Society has funded two major public exhibitions. The Environment of the American Dream â€“ The Garden Suburb at Douglaston which was co-sponsored with the Municipal Art Society and shown at the Urban Center in 1991. Flights of Fancy: Ariel Photographs of Douglaston and Little Neck used the University of California â€“ Davis' collection of Fairchild Ariel photographs taken from 1920 â€“ 54 to visually tell the story of our changing communities.
- ResearchIn 1991 the Society hired a team of historians to document the development and social history of the two proposed historic areas which were eventually designated historic landmark districts. Much of this discovered information was used by the Douglas Manor Association in their 2006 anniversary book, This Salubrious Spot: The First 100 Years at Douglas Manor 1906 â€“ 2006.
- Renovations, Additions, and New Construction in the Two DistrictsThe Societyâ€™s Architecture Committee provides residents with information on preserving, restoring, and sensitively rebuilding their homes. It is comprised of Architects, Engineerâ€™s, and Historians. The committee meets with residents and counsels them on design solutions for planned renovations, additions, or new construction. All free of charge!